I was attempting to update my home computer to 1903 to test the new Sandbox feature. When I ran the Windows 10 Upgrade Adviser, I hit the following error.
It would be great if this error message showed you what the actual issue was.
Luckily, there is a method to find this out.
Open File explorer and click the View tab. Make sure the check box for Hidden items is selected.
Select This PC, and type *_APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml in the search box and search the PC for file names that end with this term.
Right click the file that ends with _APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml and open the file with Notepad.
Press CTRL + F and search for DT_ANY_FMC_BlockingApplication. Look for the value, it should be True.
Press CTRL + F and search for LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded. The value contains the file path of the program that should be removed or transferred to another drive. (It should be located approximately 28 lines under the DT_ANY_FMC_BlockingApplication).
Make note of the file path listed in the value for LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded. You can select the file path and copy it to the Notepad by pressing CTRL + C.
Navigate to the file path’s location in File Explorer. (Click in File Explorer’s address bar and press CTRL + V to paste the file path you copied earlier.)
Once you’ve located the blocking.exe file, transfer the file to another drive or Delete the file.
You may also download run this batch file to automatically perform the steps above: https://aka.ms/AppRPS(You should be prompted to download a zip file named AppRPS.zip)
The zip file method is the fastest.
From the output, you can see the problem service. In my case, it’s BattleEye, an anti-cheat system for games.
From here you will be able to remove the problem applications or update the required drivers.
The information for my BattleEye issue can be found here. In my case, I removed BattleEye with the tool here, and reinstalled it again after the upgrade by running the game.
If you have created teams or channels in Microsoft Teams, you likely know this creates Office 365 groups. Many other Microsoft products in the 365/Azure space create Office 365 groups. This is Microsoft’s new group which allows great flexibility across services.
However, if you have ever decided to delete a Sharepoint site or Microsoft Team, you will find you cannot create another team or site in its place. You will receive an error saying this group still exists.
This is because the group was delete as a ‘soft delete’. Meaning it’s sitting in a recycle bin for a number of days until it’s permanently deleted.
You can speed up this process. The easiest way to do this is to connect via Powershell and run the following commands
Run the following command if you don’t have AzureAD installed
We’ve done a lot of work on Storage Spaces recently to try and find out why our new parity array on server 2019 was slow.
The hardware is the following:
12x 8TB 7200RPM 512e drives
When creating the Storage Space, the logical sector size is set from the disk. These disks are 512e drives with a 512 sector size. The default sector size created is 4k.
You can either buy native 4k drives at the outset, or set your Storage Space to 4k.
Here is our storage spaces before the change:
From my techs
By default when creating a storage pool, the logical sector size should match the highest physical sector in the disk pool, in this case it should be 4K, but maybe due to this drive is 512e drive, so the logical sector stays in 512. This will cause 8 times delay and performance delay due to the OS and disk controller is doing so called “RMW” operation. The picture below described how the performance get affected by this way.
Once we change our Storage Space to 4k, we started to get 120-160mb/s across the array, all the time. Before this, we were getting 30-60mb/s with many stutters.
Once these commands are completed, you can check Azure Active Directory by going to https://aad.portal.azure.com. Select Azure Active Directory and try to delete it. You will get something like the following. In this case, once the licenses have expired (these we removed 12 hours ago) you will be able to delete the tenancy.
For more information check out the following links:
Recently had an issue where upgrading Unifi resulted in MongoDB not starting. Looking to the /var/log/unifi/mongod.log we see:
ERROR: Insufficient free space for journal files
[initandlisten] Please make at least 3379MB available in /usr/lib/unifi/data/db/journal or use --smallfiles
[initandlisten] exception in initAndListen: 15926 Insufficient free space for journals, terminating
[initandlisten] shutdown: going to close listening sockets...
[initandlisten] shutdown: going to flush diaglog...
[initandlisten] shutdown: going to close sockets...
[initandlisten] shutdown: waiting for fs preallocator...
[initandlisten] shutdown: lock for final commit...
[initandlisten] shutdown: final commit...
[initandlisten] shutdown: closing all files...
[initandlisten] closeAllFiles() finished
[initandlisten] shutdown: removing fs lock...
[initandlisten] dbexit: really exiting now
This is caused by the disk space being too low (under 3.3GB). Taking a look at the filesystem, we can see this is the case: The type service unifi restart and you should be good to go.
One issue I found from this is that the MongoDB is increasing at a rapid rate. I found an excellent script here which prunes the content in MongoDB for Unifi Controllers.